作为一所独立学校, Waynflete goes to great lengths to see that our students are successful, 在严格的学术课程范围内. 这从小班开始, 从事顾问, 课堂老师提供的课外支持, and short-term support by the Director of 支持 Services. For those students who need more assistance with meeting requirements, the school offers additional academic support at an additional cost to families. 最后, 然而, there are students for whom the school is not a good match, and another learning environment may be in their best interest. The testing and evaluation information requested in the 公布教育记录 section on this page is designed to help the school and parents make informed decisions about the appropriateness of Waynflete for their child.
Waynflete provides limited academic support for students who, 在学校看来, need assistance in meeting Waynflete’s academic standards. This support (to the extent that it does not compromise the essential outcome objectives of a course) may include extra help sessions with teachers; short-term assistance from the Director of 支持 Services in the areas of study skills, 组织, 论文写作, 实验报告, 研究论文, 和数学; the use of assistive technology; and access to supervised free periods. If a student needs more extensive assistance after seeking out classroom teacher assistance, they may request tutoring from a member of the 学术支持 faculty. The Director of 支持 Services can also provide recommendations for outside support services if needed. All requests for tutoring must go through the student’s advisor, 部门主管, 以及支援服务主任.
Waynflete acknowledges that some students require an array of supports and services to be successful. 作为一所独立学校, Waynflete provides reasonable accommodations to students with documented learning challenges; 然而, the school does not provide the following supports or services:
- classroom paraprofessional support, such as educational technicians or classroom aides,
- health services beyond the health care set forth in Waynflete’s Handbook and Directory,
- certain behavioral interventions, such as formal individual behavioral management plans, and
- 相关服务, 比如演讲和语言, 职业和物理疗法, 或者个性化的社交技能课程.
Waynflete does not provide educational or diagnostic testing but may offer to conduct informal screenings for reading, 写作, 和数学. If it appears a child would benefit from formal evaluation, parents are encouraged to contact the Director of 支持 Services to discuss options or for a referral list of evaluators in the greater Portland area. The Portland Public School district may also provide information about evaluation services. Any adjustments to a child’s academic program that are recommended by such an evaluation must be consistent with the criteria outlined and approved by the appropriate Division Director.
Parents of students who have been evaluated and found to have learning challenges or a diagnosed disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (including, 但不限于, 千亿游戏障碍, 注意力缺陷多动症, 情感障碍, and speech and language disorders) may request that Waynflete provide reasonable accommodations. The decision to permit or deny requested accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis in keeping with the school’s academic program by the Director of 支持 Services and the appropriate Division Director. 这种决定还将考虑到:
- the nature and extent of the child’s documented learning difference,
- all diagnostic, academic, and psychological testing and evaluations,
- information generated through the IEP/ISP process by any public educational institution,
- the student’s educational history, including behavioral history and prior use of accommodations, and
- whether such accommodations can be provided without undue burden to the school and without fundamentally altering the nature of a program, 课程或千亿游戏课程, 或者降低标准.
It is essential that documentation of all testing and evaluations be shared with the school and be current (in most cases, conducted within the past three years) for academic accommodations to be approved. 如果满足这些条件, the Director of 支持 Services will create a support plan for the student.
- 作为入学考虑的条件, parents must sign a release authorizing the student’s prior school to release all the student’s educational records and to permit Waynflete officials to discuss the student’s educational history with representatives of the previous school.
- 在提交学生的教育记录时, parents must ensure that all diagnostic and educational testing of any kind is provided regardless of whether the testing took place at a prior school or was arranged by parents and conducted by a private evaluator.
- Withholding educational records may be grounds for termination of the student’s enrollment.
有关在读学生的更多信息, please contact the Waynflete 学术支持 Director at 207.774.5721年,ext. 1289. Prospective families should contact the Waynflete 入学 Office at 207.274.5224.